A number of users of the Google Chrome browser when trying to navigate to a number of sites may encounter the error “ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH”, which is usually associated with an outdated security code used on this site. In this article, I will tell you what the ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH error is, what causes it, and how to fix this error on your PC.
The content of the article:
- Причины ошибки ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH 1 Causes of ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH Error
- Как исправить ошибку ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH 2 How to fix the ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH error
- Заключение 3 Conclusion
Causes of Error ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH
To understand what error is ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH, it is necessary to indicate what ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH is and the conditions under which it occurs. A similar error is ssl_error_rx_record_too_long . The error text itself is translated as “SSL version error or encryption inconsistencies”, and it occurs in the following cases:
- ://, также вы можете увидеть значок в виде замочка слева от адреса сайта); When a user attempts to access a website using SSL encryption and secure HTTPS protocol for access and exchange of information (addresses of such sites begin with http s : //, you can also see an icon in the form of a padlock to the left of the site address);
- Also, the ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH error may occur on websites using SSL certificates with SNI (server name pointer) and ECDSA (public key algorithm for creating a digital signature). The mentioned ECDSA can use cheap SSL certificates, thereby causing the occurrence of the described dysfunction;
- Some components in the latest SSL certificates are not supported on earlier operating systems (for example, Windows XP) in Internet Explorer and Chrome browsers;
- If the registry of the operating system is damaged;
- When blocking access to the site by antivirus.
After we have decided on what ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH is and what are the causes of the error, let's move on to considering options for solving it.
How To Fix ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH Error
If you need ways to fix ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH, I recommend doing the following:
- Try to use an unencrypted version of this site if there is one (the address of such a site begins with the line http, not https);
- If you are using an outdated operating system such as Windows XP, then it is recommended to install a more modern version of the operating system ;
- To work with problematic websites, use the Firefox browser . The latter uses its own encryption library, without any problems opening websites with the described error;
- Disable the QUIC protocol in Google Chrome . Type in the address bar chrome: // flags / # enable-quic, and after entering the settings of this protocol, select “Disable” from above and click on the “Restart” button below;
- Reset Chrome browser settings . Go to the browser settings, click on the “Advanced settings from the bottom,” and then on the “Reset settings” button at the bottom;
- Uninstall Chrome browser, restart your computer, and then download and install the latest version of this browser ;
- Previously, in Chrome, there was a temporary solution by logging into chrome: // flags, finding the “Minimum SSLv3 version support” option there, and setting this setting to “SSLv3”. In more modern versions of Chrome, this feature has been disabled by developers (users can check on their own versions of their Chrome browsers);
- Clear SSL in your browser properties . Go to the Control Panel, select "Network and Internet" there, in it click on "Browser properties". Select the "content" tab, and click on the "Clear SSL" button;
- Check the registry of the operating system for errors using the appropriate programs (CCleaner, RegCleaner and several others), this can help get rid of the error ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH;
- Temporarily disable your antivirus and try to access the problematic site ;
- If you are the webmaster of this site, then try changing the server settings so that instead of RC4 TLS 1.2 and TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 are applied.
This article has reviewed the topics of the ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH topic. In most cases, this dysfunction occurs during the operation of the Google Chrome browser, signaling problems with the security of certificates of some websites. The easiest and most effective tool to get rid of this error is to use the Firefox browser when working with sites where this error appears. If this option does not suit you, then I recommend to perform the other tips I have listed, this can help you fix the ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH error on your PC.